Used shipping containers have become incredibly popular for storage, office and site accommodation, for smaller commercial enterprises, and even for homes. But if you’re in the market for these versatile steel boxes, where will you find the cheapest shipping containers for sale?
Who Owns Containers Used for Shipping?
If you are searching for containers for sale, it makes sense to ascertain who owns the containers that are used for shipping. Drive past any shipping port in the world and you’ll see thousands of steel shipping containers sitting on the docks.
Thousands of ships constantly carry shipping containers around the world, and it is estimated that more than 35 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) are in circulation at any one time. The term TEU refers to the industry standard relating to the length of shipping containers. Most are either 20-foot or 40 foot-long, the equivalent of 6m or 12m, although some are smaller, measuring 10 foot (3m). Container ships are designed to carry a certain number of TEUs, with one TEU equal to 20 foot.
But who actually owns the containers the ships carry?
The quick answer is, it all depends! It might be:
- The carrier that owns or charters the ship used for transportation. Carriers might also operate trucks, railways, airlines, or other forms of transportation.
- A company that rents containers used for transportation.
- A non-vessel operating common carrier or NVOCC that organizes shipments, forwarding freight. Usually, an NOVOCC will get goods from producers or manufacturers to customers or to a final point of sale or distribution.
- A shipper that regularly transports goods using containers owned by others.
Ironically, though, this isn’t really going to help you find out who offers the cheapest shipping containers for sale!
How to Find the Best Shipping Containers for Sale
You will find there are advertisements for the cheapest shipping containers for sale all over the Internet. You will find them on Gumtree, OLX, and on various private trading sites. Before you buy, the trick is to ascertain that cheapest is actually best!
So what guidelines do you follow?
- Make sure the container offered for sale has been manufactured according to a standard ISO size.
- Ascertain the age of the container as well as its condition.
- Check costs or, if you plan to rent, then check the minimum rental periods available.
- Ensure that all containers have been cleared by local customs and tax authorities.
- Also, check transport costs to get the container where you need it.
Almar Has New and Used Containers for Sale
Almar Container Group offers new and used shipping containers for sale in Africa and the Middle East. The secondhand containers are in excellent condition and range in age from about eight to 12 years.
The company has a wide range of containers, all of which have been manufactured to ISO standards – which includes standard sizes. Availability meets the demand for 6m- and 12m-long containers (20 and 40 foot) that are 2.4m wide.
So, if you’re looking for the cheapest shipping containers for sale in our region, call the container specialists at Almar to see how we can help you today.